Friday, February 22, 2008

Not So Big House


Sarah Susanka has written a whole series of books based on the philosophy of quality, not size, when it comes to homes. This is the first and the others are all based on the "not so big" ideas. It's all about customization and figuring out what things work for you; spend your money are perfect details instead of just bigger houses. There are a lot of built-ins, custom storage features, and unique details to make things beautiful. I wish I could remember all the aspects, but no one has seen fit to gift me with this item from my wish list. The books are beautiful and in full color and go through a bunch of houses that I would love to live in (most of them). I check these books out at the library regularly.

I love this whole philosophy and luckily Aaron agrees that we don't need a huge house, which seems to be the trend with people our age. Our 1500 sq. ft. is great right now, maybe we'll bump up to 2000 some day. We can spend the extra money on cool design, and great details.



Previous Delight sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss Next Delight

1 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

i just read an article (can't find it; hate the nytimes search feature, but trust me) about how the size of houses (average square footage increasing so exponentially) exascerbated the mortgage crisis.

but i would love to live in a 2300 sq ft house!